Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 2:26:44 AM EDT
Who has Vented FWD assists on their ARs???  Worth it or no?
After running several of my ARs Suppressed (10.5", 12" 18") and having several people complain about the ""Gas Face", I figured I'd look into doing something...

I've found them at a few vendors, like Weapon Outfitters and Rainier Arms but it seems like Simplistic Shooting
Solutions are the only one and they are about 38-40.00 ea...

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I run the forward assist vent thingy and gas buster charging handle and it seems to make a difference.  Still get the blowback, just not as much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run the forward assist vent thingy and gas buster charging handle and it seems to make a difference.  Still get the blowback, just not as much.
View Quote

/\ this

a gas buster or rtv'd charging handle (bcm gunfighter) will make more of a difference than the vent but if you pair them together it works out pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Where exactly do you apply the RTV???

Does this effect the motion or smothness of the motion if that makes sense???

Anyone got pics of this???
Also,  GOOD LAWD, does shooting suppressed grime up the works faster!!!  

I used to be able to get 5-600 hundred rounds of cheap ammo though my SBRs without it starting to get "Gritty"; can't say that now...

Even my bolt gun starts getting gritty a lot sooner ... Granted its a .22 and those are a mess anyway, powder wise..
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Poor Man's Gas Buster

There's also a mod where you drill through the side of the charging handle at the back to divert gas from one side to the other, but I can't find it right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Loud.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I use them on my suppressed ARs, and it does make a difference. The only time I notice blowback now is when I shoot immediately after spraying oil all over the BCG.

I have drilled and RTV'ed the charging handles as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the Gas Vent and RTV your CH.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I just use the RTV method and I find it tolerable. Even on my 10.5"

Some gas does come back but its not bad at all. I'd say try the RTV method because it's so cheap. Then if it still is not what you want consider an adjustable gas block or w/e else you think may work for you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The RTV plus the small hole in the CH is the quick and easy band-aid until you decide to fix it the right way.

Quoted:
There's also a mod where you drill through the side of the charging handle at the back to divert gas from one side to the other, but I can't find it right now.
View Quote

Here's one version.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
It irritates me that they made the gas vent look like a forward assist.

I bought one, but I use other means to mitigate gas.  I won't buy another.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The whole point is that it looks like a forward assist. Otherwise you could just remove your forward assist if that's all you're going for.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The RTV plus the small hole in the CH is the quick and easy band-aid until you decide to fix it the right way.

Here's one version.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's one version.

I did this to all of my BCM CH and can't tell a difference.  I have not done the RTV method as I have the newer version of the BCM CHs and couldn't see how it would work.

When I first put my Saker on my 10.5 5.56 for the first time I was just like wow this sucks.  I'm breathing in all this gas.  F suppressors!  Then I got a few adjustable gas blocks and its GTG now.

The only remidy to fix gas to the face is an adjustable gas block or some sort of gas adjusting device.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for Forward-Assist vent + Gas Buster. Works great on my mid-length 16" AR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a 10.5 AR running a specwar 556. It has a standard gas block and BCM CH...no gas to face...lucky I guess.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have not tried it but my BCM charging handle helps a lot compared to the standard charging handle. Unfortunately shoot suppressed created extra back pressure and makes the gun dirty.

Keep in mind that any time you add holes and allow gas to exchange from the internals you will increase the noise of the firearm. Again I don't have one of those vented forward assists but but piston systems which do away with the internal has and fouling issue are louder than the DI system.

The vented forward assists are fairly cheap, buy one try it out and give us a review.

Also might want to look into an adjustable has block, if it's throwing that much gas in your face it probably is over gassed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell naw, I'm left handed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The whole point is that it looks like a forward assist. Otherwise you could just remove your forward assist if that's all you're going for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of.... has anyone gone this route?  I'm thinking of just removing the forward assist from my 14.5 and 12.5.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Poor Man's Gas Buster

View Quote

Thats what I did for my 300
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I use a SB, PRI, and I made a vent to replace the FA. I noticed improvement from each of these things and it is much better with all 3 employed, but I can still see an increase in gas when comparing suppressed to unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get the Gas Vent.
View Quote

I'm not real keen on dropping $39 per gun on this. Can we just ghetto fuck the F/A with a drill bit and knock the edges off with a file/sand paper?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#21]
What is the adjustable gas block of choice?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What is the adjustable gas block of choice?
View Quote

Govnah or SLR
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not too keen on the proprietary gas tube or the price, but the Noveske SB works adjusts quickly without a tool unless you fire a lot on one position.

I haven't tried any others.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a 10.5 AR running a specwar 556. It has a standard gas block and BCM CH...no gas to face...lucky I guess.
View Quote

Same here, but on a 11.5 and 16.5.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Wouldn't an adjustable gas block fix a lot of problems?  Or dare I say a piston system?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Is there a good thread on how to tune the Govnah?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Running my HK MR556 stock with an AAC 762SD on it, after 325rds it was filthy! I thought piston systems would be cleaner...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Running my HK MR556 stock with an AAC 762SD on it, after 325rds it was filthy! I thought piston systems would be cleaner...
View Quote

Ignorance of the source of fouling when shooting suppressed is common.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I run vented assists on both my 8.5 300blk and my 7.5 5.56 suppressed. I get less gas to my face than I did shooting unsupressed 16.5 inch carbines with a standard FA. I love em.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I run vented assists on both my 8.5 300blk and my 7.5 5.56 suppressed. I get less gas to my face than I did shooting unsupressed 16.5 inch carbines with a standard FA. I love em.
View Quote

Did you buy one or make it yourself?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top